The Super Eagles are now the third-best country in African football.
The new ranking was released on Thursday, July 25 just a week after the Super Eagles of Nigeria won the bronze medal of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) to confirm their place as the third-best team in African football.
Super Eagles of Nigeria won bronze at ACON 2019 (CAF)
Nigeria’s performance at AFCON 2019 is however not the reason for the jump as ranking is not based solely on current results. Older results also have an impact on recent scores.
In the new ranking, the Super Eagles are third in Africa below Senegal who are in 20th place and Tunisia who are the 29th country in world football.
Nigeria are above newly crowned African champions Algeria who jumped 28 places and Morocco who are 41st.
Algeria won a first Africa Cup of Nations title since 1990
Egypt (49), Ghana (50), Cameroon (53), Congo DR (56) and Côte d’Ivoire (57) complete the top 10.
Belgium remain the number one country in world football with Brazil in the second position after moving up one place and followed by France, England and Uruguay.
Belgium remain the best football country in the world (BelRedDevils/Twitter)
Portugal, Croatia, Colombia, Spain and Argentina complete the top 10.
Minister of Guidance and Religious Affairs Reverend Godfridah Sumaili says South Africa’s gay media personality Somizi Mhlongo will not be allowed to make an appearance at this year’s Lusaka July show.
Event Organisers, PR Girl Media, announced this week that Somizi had been invited as their special guest at this year’s Lusaka July.
“It’s not a secret anymore, an invitation has been sent out to fashion icon Somizi to attend the Lusaka July 2019. We are just as anxious as you are for a YES!,” PR Girl said in a Facebook post.
The 46-year-old is famous as a choreographer, actor, socialite and Idols South Africa judge.
He got engaged to his boyfriend Mohale Tebogo Motaung in France last year.
Somizi is one of the most high-profile gay celebrities in South Africa.
But Rev Sumaili says Somizi won’t be allowed in the country because he “promotes homosexuality and immoral behaviour”
“When people come from outside to show their gifting, it has to benefit it us. So in this case, to begin with Zambia is a Christian nation and even in the constitution, homosexuality is a crime. So you have to look at it from that, we will not allow [just] anything to come. It will not be allowed,” said Rev Sumaili in an interview.
“So we shall not allow such a thing to happen, there has been an outcry from people and that is why we have been meeting with National Arts Council that whenever they want to permit someone to come here and grace an event, they are screened. We shall not allow such an individual (Somizi Mhlongo) because homosexuality is a crime.”
In March 2018, the Immigration Department deported South African entertainer Zodwa Wabantu after Rev Sumaili declared that she would not be allowed to perform in Zambia because she would corrupt people’s morals.
You might also like…Ntando Duma’s babby-daddy, Junior sends sweet birthday message to his Girlfriend
Junior de Rocka Sends Sweet Birthday Shoutout To The ‘Girl Of His Dreams’! Junior de Rocka didn’t waste time showing off his new girl after his drama with his daughter’s mom, Ntando Duma.
But now it seems the romance was more than a rebound as they are still going strong months later.
A man identified as Deji Adenuga has set a family of nine in Okitipupa Local Government Area of Ondo state, ablaze over disagreement with his girlfriend.
Adenuga, who is now at large, had a disagreement with his girlfriend identified as Titi Sanumi, which caused her to end the relationship.
At 2:35am on Tuesday, Adenuga, reportedly an ex-convit, brought a jerrycan filled with fuel to the house located at Adetuwo Street near a popular hotel in Ayeka/Igbodigo on Igbokoda Road, Okitipupa.
He broke a window, entered the house, splashed petrol on the family while they were asleep, then set them ablaze — not knowing that Titi had left town immediately after the disagreement.
Two family members were said to have died on the spot, and the remaining died at the Trauma Centre, Ondo.
According to sources close to both the ex-convict and Titi, they had dated for four years, before things went sour between them, and Deji was pained that he has seriously invested in her.
According to Femi Adeusi, a close friend to the couple, said: “What really happened was that both of them had been having disagreements in recent times and the guy always told us how he had invested in the lady.
“But things became bad when Titi told his boyfriend that she could not cope with the relationship again due to daily disagreements. They had to drag themselves to the police station for settlement. Also, we tried to make them come back and play mature but it’s like there is a secret between them that is dark to us because not even Deji was willing to make peace.
“It was like a filmtrick when we were told that he went to set the family’s house of Titi on fire and people who were sleeping in the building died in the inferno and few of them could only escaped.
“We gathered that he decided to set the house on fire to punish Titi and not even knowing that the lady had travelled outside town the previous day after their big fight. It is sad he killed innocent persons in the family house while he himself has run away from home after perpetrating the evil act. Police have visited the scene and promised to investigate it.”
The sad case was confirmed by Femi Joseph, spokesman of the Ondo State Police Command, saying: “One Victor Alade came to report the case to the Police… that seven of his family members were set ablaze in their sleep.
“He told us he suspected one Deji Adenuga but that he ran away from town after perpetrating the evil act. Investigation has already commenced. Our officers visited the scene and evacuated the corpses. So, I can assure you that our officers are already on the trail of the suspect, and in no distant time we shall apprehend him.”
Protest leaders in Sudan on Wednesday continue to put pressure on the nation’s military council by calling for a massive one million mass revolt demanding power to be handed to a civilian government.
“We are calling for a million (people to) march on Thursday,” this was stated by Ahmed al-Rabia, a senior leader of the Sudanese Professionals Association,
The umbrella body that embarked on the massive protests against ousted President Omar Al Bashir in December.In a separate statement, the SPA said the march calls for “civilian rule” in Sudan, the central demand of protesters since the army ousted Bashir on April 11.
The protesters who kick start the civil unrest in the central town of Atbara on December 19 over a decion by the Omar Al Bashir’s iron fist government to triple the prices of bread. The protest finally turned to a civil unrest against his leadership which the military used as an avenue to seize power.
However the military council led by General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan after his predecessor lasted for just a day in the post stated that it will be in power for a two-year transition period. The agitators swiftly turned their protest against the military council, suspending discussions with the army leaders on Sunday for refusing to hand over power immediately.
Thousands have camped outside the military headquarters in central Khartoum since before Bashir was deposed, and have vowed not to leave the area until their demand has been met.
The protesters have been receiving support from United States which has backed them heabily in their agitation for a civil rule.
“We support the legitimate demand of the people of Sudan for a civilian-led government, and we are here to urge and to encourage parties to work together to advance that agenda as soon as possible,” State Department official Makila James told AFP on Tuesday.“The people of Sudan have made their demand very clear,” she stated.
“We want to support them in that as (it is) the best path forward to a society that is respectful of human rights, that respects the rule of law and that would be able to address this country’s very serious issues,” she disclosed.
On Tuesday some African leaders converge in Cairo at the request of President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and concluded that there’s “the need for more time” for a transition according to statement from the Egyptian presidency.
leaders in the continent under the auspice of the African Union(AU) has issued an extension of three months for the Sudanese military authorities to hand over power to a civilian government, the Egyptian president disclosed.
The African body had issued a threat to suspend Sudan’s membership if the military failed to hand over power to a civilian leadership within two weeks.SOURCE: PUNCH
Do you think the military should hand over power to a civilian leader in Sudan ? Share your views and thoughts in the comment section provided below