Advertisements

South African first coronavirus patients speaks out,Reveals more about the Deadly disease.

“I believe I’ m on the path to recovery and am feeling much better than I was a few days ago. I remain in self-isolation until I have been given the all-clear. I trust the worst is over and I’m coming to grips with it.”

These were the words of the 38-year-old Hilton businessman who was confirmed positive with South Africa’ s first case of Covid-19 on Thursday.

The father of two spoke exclusively to The Witness last night from his home at an upmarket estate in Hilton, after Health Minister Zweli Mkhize announced earlier that the country had recorded its first case of the virus.

The announcement set off a flurry of rumours and incorrect speculation on social media that shopping centres in Hilton had been quarantined, that the patient was from Durban and that his two children who attend Cowan House Preparatory School had also tested positive, among others.

The man, who asked not to be named, said he, his wife and eight friends returned from a skiing trip to Livigno, northern Italy, on Sunday, March 1. They had left on February 21, flying from King Shaka airport to Dubai, then to Zurich and on to a ski resort in Livigno, returning the same way.

He said he could not pinpoint where and how he got infected, but suspected it could have been on the way to or from Livigno. The man confirmed that the others in their group had since been isolated and were being tested, as well as his wife and sons.

“I started feeling a bit ill with usual flu-like symptoms on Sunday evening. It got progressively worse on Monday. On Tuesday morning, I saw the doctor here in Hilton. She was actually quite vigilant and said that because I had been to a highly-infected area [Italy] and had travelled, I should get a swab test done. So I did on Tuesday by mid-day and was told I would get my results in 48 hours’ time. The pathology lab staff were excellent and it felt more like going into a bio-hazard facility as their staff were wearing protective gear and their facilities were also protected.

“To the minute today [Thurday] by about midday, I got a call from the NICD to confirm I had tested positive. It was overwhelming and before we had a chance to actually process what was going on, about two hours later, the Health minister had made the announcement confirming the case to the country,” he said.

Dr Robyn Reed, the Hilton doctor who saw the man, has also isolated herself as a precautionary measure. Reed, who was widely named on community WhatsApp groups, declined to comment when contacted and referred The Witness to the NICD.

The man said he had also isolated himself since he started feeling ill.

“We just took a precautionary measure and decided that I should be isolated from the rest of my family and I’m glad we did so. My wife and sons are not showing any symptoms as yet. There’s an extra-low possibility my sons could be affected as they haven’t had much contact with me since I arrived. They have been to school on Monday and Tuesday and we will explore that issue with the school … It [Covid-19] is viral so there’s no cure and only the symptoms can be treated. But, touch wood, I’ve been feeling much better since Wednesday afternoon and today [Thursday] has been good …”

Soon after news broke of the confirmed case, the man’s wife sent a WhatsApp message that was widely circulated on social media. It read: “Hello friends and family. [He] has tested positive to coronavirus. We have been home in quarantine since Tuesday. The kids and I don’t have symptoms, but will be tested. We are trying to deal with all of this, obviously it’s a big shock as we didn’t for one-minute think he had the virus. We are in constant contact with the NICD [National Institute for Communicable Diseases] and if you’ve been in contact with him you will be contacted by them.”

Cowan House Preparatory School in Hilton, which the man’s children attend, confirmed in a letter to parents late last night that the school will be closed on Thursday and weekend extra-curricular activities have been cancelled.

Other schools in Pietermaritzburg and Hilton released statements calling for calm and that appropriate measures would be taken at the schools.

– The Witness

Advertisements
Advertisements

South East security outfit kicks off in Enugu.

The South-East Geo-Political Zone Security Summit has commenced at The Base Event Centre, Enugu.

The theme of the summit is ‘Strategic Partnership for Effective Community Policing in the South East Geo-Political Zone’.

Participating dignitaries including the President-General, Ohaneze Ndigbo, Chief John Nnia Nwodo; Archbishop Emmanuel Chukwuma; former Inspector-General of Police Ogbonnaya Onovo; Speaker, Enugu State House Assembly, Hon Edward Ubosi, and traditional rulers are seated.

The crowd is waiting for the arrival of the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, and the state governors of the zone.

Earlier, the South East Governors and the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mr. Mohammed Adamu Abubakar NPM,mni, held a closed-door meeting at the Government House, Enugu.

In attendance were the host, Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State, Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State and Chairman of the South East Governors’ Forum, Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra State, Governor Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia State and the Deputy Governor of Imo State, Prof. Placid Njoku. Additional report culled from The sun.

Video-suspected Ritualist forced to eat bread

In a video shared on the Internet, a man suspected to be a ritualist has been spotted in a what seems to be a struggle of his life.

The man was reported to have begged for help from another man, saying he was hungry and wanted to eat bread.

The unidentified man bought the bread and gave him which he eventually threw away.

Afterwards, the man picked the bread and forced him to eat it in fear that he may have been a ritualist.

In the video, the man was seen struggling to finish the bread.

Watch The Video Here:

Sowore enters court and was chanting #RevolutionNow

Sowore

Omoyele Sowore, the publisher of Sahara Reporters and convener of #RevolutionNow protest, is set to be arraigned before the Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday.

Sowore who has been charged with treasonable felony, amongst other offences, arrived at the court this morning chanting #RevolutionNow. While he chanted “Revolution” his followers who were already waiting for him responded “Now”.

Recall that the Department of State Services, DSS, on August 3, 2019, arrested Sowore for calling for a revolution through a protest scheduled to hold on August 5. The protest was interpreted as an attempt to topple the Buhari led administration.

Justice Taiwo Taiwo in the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court granted the DSS permission to detain the activist in custody for 45 days and at its expiration, the Attorney General of the Federation filed a seven-count charge of treasonable felony, cyber crimes and money laundering against the activist.

SOUTH African airways suffer low Traffic passengers from Nigeria because of xenophobic Attack.

The South African government is considering merger of its South African Airways, low-cost carrier Mango and regional carrier, SA Express, as the country’s biggest carrier battle low passenger traffic from Nigeria, after xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in the South African country.

South African Airways, the nation’s international and domestic flag carrier, SA Express, a regional carrier that links remote towns and cities, as well as some international destinations and Mango Airlines, the countries low-cost-carrier are fully independent airlines but funded by the government. The new proposal, prepared by the Department of Public Enterprise, was presented to parliament on Wednesday September 11, according to Business Tech SA.

This is great news for South Africa Airways and SA Express, both of which have received government bailouts in recent months. SA Express ran out of cash in August and was forced to ground its entire fleet until the government provided an additional R300 million ($20.5 million).

Meanwhile, the strained relationship between Nigeria and South Africa over xenophobia has taken a toll on South African Airways.

Amid the drop in passenger traffic to the area, cash strapped SAA is on life support as the country’s government cash injection of 5.5 billion rand ($376 million) approved for the 2019/20 financial year is expected at the end of the month, but it still needs more money, the presentation to lawmakers showed on Wednesday.

South African Airways has a debt of about 12.7 billion rand, consisting of 9.2 billion rand of legacy debt and a 3.5 billion rand working capital facility provided by banks.

The Nigerian route is like life blood to SAA and has done everything to remain very competitive against Nigerian airlines.

A source at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, who is conversant with airlines’ processing of passengers and who pleaded anonymity, said that the surge in passenger traffic to the area from Lagos had seriously dwindled, adding that travellers are refusing to travel to Johannesburg, Pretoria or Durban; three major South African cities or use them as transit point because of fear for their security.

The airline, shortly before the Abuja Airport runway was repaired in April 2019, operated 14 weekly frequencies to Lagos and Abuja. But after the reconstruction, the carrier now flies into Lagos daily on a seven frequencies basis.

“I feel that my safety is not guaranteed in Durban, so I have made up my mind not to attend,” said a Nigerian, Oluyinka Akande, who was due to attend an aviation and allied conference.

“A lot of people would have taken the same decision because nobody wants to go to a country where he or she is not safe,” he added.

%d bloggers like this: