South African first coronavirus patients speaks out,Reveals more about the Deadly disease.

“I believe I’ m on the path to recovery and am feeling much better than I was a few days ago. I remain in self-isolation until I have been given the all-clear. I trust the worst is over and I’m coming to grips with it.”

These were the words of the 38-year-old Hilton businessman who was confirmed positive with South Africa’ s first case of Covid-19 on Thursday.

The father of two spoke exclusively to The Witness last night from his home at an upmarket estate in Hilton, after Health Minister Zweli Mkhize announced earlier that the country had recorded its first case of the virus.

The announcement set off a flurry of rumours and incorrect speculation on social media that shopping centres in Hilton had been quarantined, that the patient was from Durban and that his two children who attend Cowan House Preparatory School had also tested positive, among others.

The man, who asked not to be named, said he, his wife and eight friends returned from a skiing trip to Livigno, northern Italy, on Sunday, March 1. They had left on February 21, flying from King Shaka airport to Dubai, then to Zurich and on to a ski resort in Livigno, returning the same way.

He said he could not pinpoint where and how he got infected, but suspected it could have been on the way to or from Livigno. The man confirmed that the others in their group had since been isolated and were being tested, as well as his wife and sons.

“I started feeling a bit ill with usual flu-like symptoms on Sunday evening. It got progressively worse on Monday. On Tuesday morning, I saw the doctor here in Hilton. She was actually quite vigilant and said that because I had been to a highly-infected area [Italy] and had travelled, I should get a swab test done. So I did on Tuesday by mid-day and was told I would get my results in 48 hours’ time. The pathology lab staff were excellent and it felt more like going into a bio-hazard facility as their staff were wearing protective gear and their facilities were also protected.

“To the minute today [Thurday] by about midday, I got a call from the NICD to confirm I had tested positive. It was overwhelming and before we had a chance to actually process what was going on, about two hours later, the Health minister had made the announcement confirming the case to the country,” he said.

Dr Robyn Reed, the Hilton doctor who saw the man, has also isolated herself as a precautionary measure. Reed, who was widely named on community WhatsApp groups, declined to comment when contacted and referred The Witness to the NICD.

The man said he had also isolated himself since he started feeling ill.

“We just took a precautionary measure and decided that I should be isolated from the rest of my family and I’m glad we did so. My wife and sons are not showing any symptoms as yet. There’s an extra-low possibility my sons could be affected as they haven’t had much contact with me since I arrived. They have been to school on Monday and Tuesday and we will explore that issue with the school … It [Covid-19] is viral so there’s no cure and only the symptoms can be treated. But, touch wood, I’ve been feeling much better since Wednesday afternoon and today [Thursday] has been good …”

Soon after news broke of the confirmed case, the man’s wife sent a WhatsApp message that was widely circulated on social media. It read: “Hello friends and family. [He] has tested positive to coronavirus. We have been home in quarantine since Tuesday. The kids and I don’t have symptoms, but will be tested. We are trying to deal with all of this, obviously it’s a big shock as we didn’t for one-minute think he had the virus. We are in constant contact with the NICD [National Institute for Communicable Diseases] and if you’ve been in contact with him you will be contacted by them.”

Cowan House Preparatory School in Hilton, which the man’s children attend, confirmed in a letter to parents late last night that the school will be closed on Thursday and weekend extra-curricular activities have been cancelled.

Other schools in Pietermaritzburg and Hilton released statements calling for calm and that appropriate measures would be taken at the schools.

– The Witness

SPORT-STD infection stops Barcelona star from playing in upcoming El-classico

Barcelona takes on Real Madrid in the El Clasico soon and keeping in mind that the Catalan team will require no motivation for this game but one player will feel terrible to pass up a great opportunity for a somewhat unusual explanation.

Read: Messi marked his 700th Barcelona appearance

Arthur Melo, currently playing in Barcelona, will miss the opportunity to play against Real Madrid as a result of what is being named a “sexually transmitted disease” or a STD disease.

The Sports Rush are among the sources revealing that Melo had to miss an ongoing game against Mallorca because of what the club called crotch damage, while as a general rule it was the treatment of an STD known as gonorrhea.

Image result for Arthur Melo
Arthur Mello (Image: Bleacher Report)

Because of the treatment for the STD, Melo will be taking certain medicines that may pop up on the radar of anti-doping agencies monitoring player performance during El Clasico, so Barcelona won’t let the Brazilian contend in a match till the treatment is finished.

On the off chance that Melo ends up playing while at the same time experiencing treatment, odds are his samples would show positive outcomes in doping tests, which would imply that he would be suspended for quite a long time as a result of it.

In any case, Barcelona goes into the game with a solid squad and a conviction that they can do the business over their unpleasant opponents.

 

 

South African police convicted for murder of Nigerian

South African police constable convicted for murder of Nigerian

A court in South Africa has found a police constable, Austin Reynolds, guilty for the murder of a Nigerian, Ebuka Okoli.

This was disclosed by the President of the Nigerian Union South Africa (NUSA) Mr Adetola Olubajo, in a statement on Friday.

According to him, the accused was found guilty on a one count charge of murder and three charges of robbery.

Olubajo stated: “NUSA welcomes the judgment of Judge Shyam Gyanda on the brutal murder of Ebuka Emmanuel Okoli, who was shot dead by a police constable in Durban on January 19, 2018.

“Austin Luciano Reynolds, the 24-year-old South African police constable, was found guilty today Friday, November 29, 2019, for January 19, 2018 murder of Ebuka Okoli a native of Anambra State in Durban, Kwa Zulu Natal.

“The accused was found guilty on all four charges, one charge of murder and three charges of robbery. The accomplice of the accused during the illegal raid turned state witness.”

According to reports, Ebuka was shot at close range during an alleged illegal raid by Reynolds and his colleague on the community where the deceased resided in Durban.

Why is sowore still in jail-see interesting Details

Reno Omokri wrote:

“Despite the stringent bail conditions set for Nnamdi Kanu, Igbos wasted no time fulfilling it. Sowore’s bail terms are nowhere near as tough as Nnamdi Kanu’s, yet no one has stood for him.

“Yet, while he was in detention and court, many people were talking tough in his defence. It just tells you a lot about Igbo communal spirit as compared to other ethnic nationalities.

“If Sowore was Igbo, he would have been out of jail by now. An Igbo Senator, Enyinnaya Abaribe, risked jail, put his Senatorial office on the line, to stand as surety for Kanu.

“Are you trying to tell me that none of Sowore’s kinsmen have ordinary ₦50 million?  I am yet to see a people who love themselves like the Igbo.

“In America, believe it or not, Igbo unions give new comers loans to set up their own businesses. I have seen news stories of destitute Nigerians abroad who need assistance. That can never happen to an Igbo. Other Igbos in that community will rally round and rehabilitate him or her. Let us all learn that self love from Ndi’Igbo and Nigeria will be better for it.”

South Africa Grant’s Air Peace permit to operate Daily

Air Peace

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has said that the South African Government has granted request for the Nigerian Designated Airline, Air Peace to commence commercial flights to Johannesburg, South Africa.

According to a statement issued on Monday by the Spokesman of the Ministry, Ferdinand Nwonye, the confirmation was granted in the process of ascertaining the level of implementation of the Bilateral Air Service Agreement (BASA) between Nigeria and South Africa at the Senior Officials Meeting (SOM) of the 9th Session of the Nigeria/South Africa Bi-National Commission Summit in Pretoria, South Africa on Friday 27th September, 2019.

The proprietor of Air Peace Airlines, Chief Allen Onyema has also confirmed that the airline would commence operation as soon as possible to promote air travel between Nigeria and South Africa, the statement added.

 

%d bloggers like this: