Naledi pando-Dirco concerned about the safety of south Africans in Nigeria

Pandor warned that the protests would ruin the good bilateral relations shared by the countries.

Photo: Twitter / Dirco_ZA

The Department of International Relations and Cooperation (Dirco) has stated that it is concerned about statements made by a student organisation in Nigeria regarding an alleged plot to expel South Africans from the country.

According to Dirco Minister, Naledi Pandor, it is highly unfortunate that such threats are allowed to fester in society without recourse from the Nigerian government.

Anti-South Africa protests brewing in Nigeria

The minister raised this at a media briefing on the upcoming SADC Summit.

DIRCO South Africa

@DIRCO_ZA

was live, remember to watch full coverage here: https://twitter.com/DIRCO_ZA/status/1160468654879846401?s=19 ,

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter
DIRCO South Africa

@DIRCO_ZA

#DIRCOMediaBriefing on the upcoming #SADCSummit https://www.pscp.tv/w/cB_JvzFlZGpuTE5sTHlxUW98MU93R1drTm1tQldHUY8gprPpGOleOvkT-NcBVC1wHutvYZT4JekDdFe9PjNQ 

See DIRCO South Africa’s other Tweets

“I wish to take this opportunity to express my — and my department’s — concern regarding statements said to emanate from a student organisation in Nigeria, calling for the expulsion of South Africans and protests at South African-owned businesses.

“The protests are said to be in response to alleged killings of Nigerians by South Africans. As you are aware, these allegations are devoid of truth, they are reckless and unwarranted,” Pandor said.

Protests linked to the death of Ndubuisi-Chukwu

She further revealed that the anti-South Africa rhetoric that is being propagated by the Nigerian student organisation is linked to the mysterious death of Elizabeth Ndubuisi-Chukwu, the Deputy Director-General of the Chartered Insurance Institute of Nigeria.

Ndubuisi-Chukwu was found dead in her room, at the Emperor’s Palace Casino Hotel and Convention Centre on Thursday, 13 June. Quoted in a Political Analysis report, the Nigerian Diaspora Commission (Nidcom) demanded full cooperation from the South African government “and expect nothing less.”

“We must know what happened. If it means getting a private investigator, we will; we should not be pushed to the edge. We have reached a tipping point,” Nidcom chairperson, Abike Dabiri-Erewa exclaimed.

Dirco sends warning to the highest order in Nigeria

Pandor noted that South African authorities are doing everything in their power to fast-track the investigation into the death of Ndubuisi-Chukwu. She stated that these outlandish statements do nothing but hurt the strong bilateral relations South Africa has shared with Nigeria for many years.

“We find these statements most unfortunate, as they don’t reflect the strong relations that exist between the people and the governments of South Africa and Nigeria…

“The acting High Commissioner to Nigeria, of South Africa, Mr Bobby Moroe, who is with us today, has had several meetings with the police an other senior government officials in Nigeria. We’ve also had contact from the highest level of the Nigerian government and have been assured that authorities in Nigeria are taking these calls for a protest campaign seriously,” Pandor added.

The minister called on South Africans in Nigeria to rest assured that they — as well as their property in Nigeria — will be protected.

“We believe no one should abuse this unfortunate tragedy to generate negative sentiments about South Africa and we express our condolences to Mrs Ndubuisi-Chukwu’s family, friends, and the people of Nigeria,” the minister said.

Many Arrested foreign nationals have documentation

The Johannesburg Law Clinic has cautioned South Africans not to label all the suspects rounded up during last week’s raids in the Johannesburg CBD as illegal immigrants.

Joburg Raids
Pic Courtesty: Sibahle Motha

The organisation maintains many of the foreign nationals taking in for verification by police were in possession of the necessary documentation.

At least 600 people were arrested last week when police swooped on several shops and buildings in the CBD.

They were kept at Johannesburg Central Police Station for verification.

The raids came after clashes between traders and police with shop owners pelting stones at police vehicles.

The clinic’s Jessica Lawrence says not all those who were arrested were in the country illegally.

“Within the narrative, it’s important to not collapse all migrants into the category of the illegal migrants because that’s simply incorrect and not true and it’s also important to not collapse all goods within the category of counterfeit goods.

“A number of migrants are significantly contributing to the informal economy within the Johannesburg inner city and it’s important that in this narrative, not all individuals are illegal.”

South Africa worries as NAN Threatened to shutdown it businesses

Abuja—South Africa has expressed  concern over the call by the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) for the expulsion of South Africans and protest at South African owned businesses in Nigeria.

buhari ramaphosa South Africa
Ramaphosa and Buhari

The country made its feelings known in a statement issued by Ms Anna-Maria Jojozi, Counsellor in-charge of Political Affairs at the South African High Commission in Abuja Saturday.

Jojozi quoted Dr Naledi Pandor (MP), Minister, International Relations and Cooperation, to have expressed the feeling at the South African Development Community, SADC, meeting held in South Africa yesterday..

She said the meeting sought to discuss President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa official visit to President John Magufuli of Tanzania, for the SADC Summit, from Wednesday to Thursday.

Jojozi said: “I wish to express my department’s concern regarding statements said to emanate from student organisation in Nigeria, calling for expulsion of South Africans and protests at South African-owned businesses.

“The protests are said to be in response to alleged killings of Nigerians by South Africans; as you are aware these allegations are devoid of truth, reckless and unwarranted.

“We find these statements most unfortunate as they do not reflect the strong relations that exist between the people and the Government of South Africa and Nigeria.

“The two countries enjoy strong bilateral relations, which were forged over many years during our struggle for liberation in South Africa; also, in this democratic era supported by the people and Government of Nigeria.”

Jojozi said   South Africa’s Acting High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr Bobby Moroe, had held several meetings with the police and other senior government officials in Nigeria.

She said South Africa had established contact from the highest level of the Nigerian Government and received assurances that authorities in Nigeria were taking the calls for protests seriously.

“They have also assured us that South African citizens and their property in Nigeria will be protected.

“South Africa values the strong ties it has established with Nigeria and will continue to enhance these even further,” Jojozi noted.

Xenophobic attack: NANS threatens to shutdown South African businesses(Opens in a new browser tab)

The counsellor said the statements referred to the unfortunate death of Mrs Elizabeth Ndubuisi-Chukwu, Deputy Director-General of the Chartered Insurance Institute of Nigeria, in June.

She said that, the South African Police Service was still investigating the incident.

“We believe no one should abuse this unfortunate tragedy to generate negative sentiments about South Africa and we express our condolences to Mrs Ndubuisi-Chukwu’s family; friends and the people of Nigeria.”

 

China Approves group Visa for Nigerians

•Chinese President Xi Jinping
•Chinese President Xi Jinping

 

The Chinese Government has launched a group visa programme for Nigerians who wish to travel as a team for business or tourism.

The scheme, which will kick off on August 1, will enable Nigerians numbering at least five persons in a group, to apply for and obtain a group visa.

But the travellers can only apply for the visa through an international travel agency, Bravo International Tour Service of Beijing, which was granted the exclusive rights to process the group visa.

Bravo International Tour Service’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Mr. Daniel Yang, stated this in Lagos at the weekend while signing a deal with its Nigerian partner, 1860 Travels.

Yang said the deal with 1860 Travels would increase cultural communications between China and Nigeria through a new product or brand called ‘Tours2China’.

“We are now the only Chinese company that can process the group visa, not the business visa, the group visa. We can bring Nigerians to China through the group visa. In other words, people seeking a Chinese group visa have to apply through us.

“The group visa requires a minimum of five persons. Four persons cannot obtain a group visa, they must be at least five persons,” he added.

Yang explained that the partnership with 1860 Travels will produce three travel itineraries, packages to different Chinese cities to tour, trade, shop “at cheaper rates.”

Bravo International Tour Service Director, David Yang, urged travellers not to abuse of the opportunity by eloping in China, otherwise the Chinese government could shut down the programme.

1860 Travels Ltd Managing Director, Mr. Olusina Daodu, assured that measures are in place to make the product succeed and avoid its abuse.

Daodu said: “Before now, what we were used to in this market was business travel but the times are changing with the introduction of this product into the Nigerian market.

“Nigerians will now be able to travel with group tourist visa. If you want to go on leisure, it affords you the opportunity and if you also want to do a little bit of business, it also affords you the opportunity.

“That is why the itineraries put together are structured in a way that it allows you do your business and also have some leisure time while you are there.” (The Nation)

%d bloggers like this: